September 09, 2011

16w0d


I'm officially outta the first trimester and into the second. Both feet in the second, actually.

I'm sorry I haven't updated sooner on my first midwifery appointment this week, things as usual have been a little crazy around here.

The appointment went really, really well. Better than I could have ever hoped. I'll be honest, I was really on the fence about going with a midwife over an OB - and I have to say that I'm glad we did. The appointment was one of the longest I've ever had with a healthcare professional. She asked a full history, how I was feeling, what's been going on, and never once in the 45 minutes with her did we feel rushed.

We get to deliver at a fantastic hospital near by; we have the option of everything to a fully natural child birth all the way up to a fully medicated one; waterbirth is an option for us (although I hadn't really given much thought to it - I always thought it was a bit "granola" for me, but we'll see, at least there's the option).

Buggy's HB is now 156 bpm and strong. I think I'm starting to feel her move around in there (feels like there's waves running through my uterus, and every once in a while I get a crazy amount of fluttering). I have weekly appointments with the group of midwives for the next few weeks, and next week I get my requisition for the anatomy scan - which I'm anxious for. I just want to see that she's in there, moving around, being normal.

I'm still paranoid that I'm going to miscarry. The midwife I think could sense this, and she said the best thing in the world to me that anyone has said so far in this pregnancy:
"Even though you guys did the IVF/PGD, at this point? You're pregnant. Just like any other normal pregnant woman. So you'll be treated as a normal pregnant woman, because you are."
Amazing to finally here we're 'normal' after hearing otherwise for so many years.
Photobucket

3 comments on "16w0d"

TheThirtiesGirl on September 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM said...

Congrats! Glad everything is going well.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic to hear everything is still going strong. We are due at the same time (I'm due Feb 22) so it's going to be interesting to follow your blog as I'm sure you'll be saying a lot of what I'll be experiencing too!

We have gone with an obstetrician - basically because I'm pretty geriatric as far as pregnant women go ie: I'll be 42 in Feb so we thought it best to go with an ob. But I've heard so many good things about midwives - it sounds like you're on to a good one there.

Best of luck

ADSchill on September 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM said...

I am right there with you! 16 weeks is a huge milestone and I am glad we both made it.

I am SO interested to hear about your experiences with a midwife. That was something I always thought about until we found out about the twins. Now I am too nervous.

I am so happy things are moving along for you and I can't wait to read more!

Lurkers...

Blogger Awards Won:

Blogger Awards Won:

be IN
 

A Bug Odyssey: a journey through infertility Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Bug Blog Designed by BugBlogger