November 07, 2011

A lesson about "Infertility"


Ok.

I really try to be patient and mindful of people who just don't know a lot about infertility.

But I'm fucking sick and tired of healthcare professionals (imaging techs, lab techs, doctors, midwives) automatically assuming that we used I.V.F. because I couldn't get pregnant, and that there was a problem with me, or that because I'm over 30 I must have had issues (I shit you not) because I'm "getting up there"...

PEOPLE. Need I remind you healthcare professionals who deal with pregnant people all day long?

Look at this lovely pie chart:
Causes of infertility, data compiled in the United Kingdom 2009. Reference: Regulated fertility services: a commissioning aid - June 2009, from the Department of Health UK
PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT.

Now, don't get me wrong at all - most people are completely innocent to these things; the stats say that 1 in 6 couples will struggle with infertility. That means that 5 in 6 get to be blissfully ignorant for their entire lives about alternative methods for making babies (you know, any situation that requires anything more than a few glasses of red wine, some fancy panties and a bottle of K.Y.). I get it, I do.

But when you're an ultrasound tech who's specialty is prenatal scans, don't start chatting once you find out that we did I.V.F. about the fact that ya, I'm 32, and you're worried you'll have problems, too, because you're almost 29. Are you kidding me? You do 10-12 prenatal scans a day. That means that odds are, you'll encounter at least 1 to 2 couples who've struggled to conceive and have used A.R.T. in some form or another per day.

And doctors? Don't get me STARTED on doctors. But most of all, I was disappointed in my midwife group, when I had to explain to each of them (no, CORRECT) at all of my appointments that no, I had no problems conceiving, everything's good with the mare - take a look over there at the stud. Ya.

I'm not laying blame with respect to our infertility (notice - it's our infertility, not his), I'm just sick and tired of the ignorance that is bestowed upon those who should really know better than to assume.

So. Keep up with your research, people. Take a minute to look up the term "infertility". Know that there are two people involved, a man and a woman, when a baby is made. Two sets of variables to consider, not just one.

An update on our pregnancy:
Well, our 3D ultrasound went over without a hitch today, other than the Bug was covering her face the entire time, and then finally got pissed off enough at us that she flipped over, showed us her ass, and the scan was over.

I can tell you, my baby has a nice ass. And moves *a lot*. Which made for some pretty blurry pictures. Oh well.
Photobucket

0 comments on "A lesson about "Infertility""

Lurkers...

Blogger Awards Won:

Blogger Awards Won:

be IN
 

A Bug Odyssey: a journey through infertility Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Bug Blog Designed by BugBlogger