April 24, 2011

A break today from IF


I thought I'd take a break today from my daily rantings of infertility, and change subjects.

First off, Happy Easter to all of you reading. I hope you had uneventful family functions, filled with ZERO questions about your sex life reproductive tendencies.
There's something not right about these bunnies...
I've spent the last two days off of work working on different projects around the house, including laying new flooring in our entryway (we had these terrible 1970's brown terracotta tiles, which I put 3"x4' 10mm laminate planks down over top - looks gorgeous.) I also had to take down 8' closet sliders, which were a lovely wood paneling, and painted them white.
BEFORE
Uh - can you say... ugly?

AFTER
The now white closet doors and new flooring - much brighter.
AFTER
Close up of the new floor. Don't mind the dog hair.

Our entryway looks amazing now. It was the last area in our house that hadn't been touched. And now, it's finished. Just in time to list it. 

So as I sit here at 5am, not able to sleep, I can't help but think of all of the things we still have to do before we list the place by mid-month next. According to our real estate agent, the average home in our area will sell within 58 days. However: the last 2 properties sold in 5 and 20 days. Holy. I am REALLY hoping that this happens quickly for us; I can see myself getting VERY irritated with last minute showings and the anxiety and that feeling of my personal space being invaded by strangers traipsing through my house.

Today I have to cut and mount the baseboards/casing along the edges of the new floor, as well as on a landing one floor up that we missed during past renos. And our bathroom door doesn't clear the floor with the enhanced height, so I'll have to power sand the bottom of the door to buy a bit of clearance. I'm really hoping that this'll be the biggest job we'll have to tackle before we list.

I see 2 more properties have recently listed in our area, so I'm off to check out their pictures and prices after this.

Meanwhile, we have to downsize for both showing purposes, and also for the fact that we won't have as much room when we move; we're under the assumption that we'll only be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment or walkout in the area we're moving to. It's funny - when people find out that you're moving to a smaller place, you can see the wheels start to turn in their heads, like they're mentally going through your home, room by room, thinking of what they'd like to 'take off your hands'. Little vultures.

I jest, I jest.

Still. I think I've convinced my husband that there isn't much point in moving the most uncomfortable couch in the world, and that we should just buy a new couch when we get there. I think he's in. So now let's see who wants a couch. Maybe I'll go internet shopping now for something...
Photobucket

4 comments on "A break today from IF"

ADSchill on April 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM said...

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track to selling your place.

And that entry way looks fabulous! Good for you! We are buying a house and I have a lot to learn about remodeling and upgrading.

Good luck with everything!

MissConception

Anonymous said...

What kind of paint did you use for the doors? Did you have to scuff them first?

Anonymous said...

Hey Bug,

Not sure what country you're moving to but did you look into the specifics of moving your dog? Sometimes it's not so easy.


Sorry I don't want to cause you stress but in case it's a long process I thought I should bring it up.

Blogger on April 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM said...

MissC:
Yup! You'll have lots to learn - we did! My hubs was useless 4 years ago with power tools. Now he's much better than me at it! lol.

Anon:
I didn't sand the doors at all; I treated them with a TSP solution, and then put 3 coats of B.I.N. primer with a foam roller, and then 3 coats of latex semi-gloss in white with a foam roller and a fine paint brush.

Thanks for the tip on moving our dog; we're on top of it! Thanks for thinking of us!

xo
Buggy

Lurkers...

Blogger Awards Won:

Blogger Awards Won:

be IN
 

A Bug Odyssey: a journey through infertility Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Bug Blog Designed by BugBlogger