November 24, 2010

Such is life.


I went to a really small Elementary school out in the middle of nowhere. We lived on a farm and were surrounded by other farms for miles. No one really walked to school where I lived - we had to be 'driven in' every morning. Because of this, thankfully, we had a lot of snow days. But I digress.

We had a little class - there were only 7 of us together from kindergarten until we 'graduated' in grade 7. We were all the best of buds, hung out together, all played soccer together at lunch every day, our parents all knew each other and were good friends in some instances. There were no boy or girl cooties - we didn't even know what those were. All of the birthday parties were all co-ed; one of my very best friends was a boy.

And then we all went off to high-school.

A massive school with over 2,000 kids. We hardly ever saw each other anymore, and slowly, our friendships changed. At first we just didn't see each as much as before; then, eventually, most of our friends were replaced new friends - friends that had more in common with us, friends we could relate to better as we went through all the major life changes that a kid in highschool experiences.

And then we all graduated.

And some of us went to university, others college, others no post-secondary at all; we all got jobs. And with those jobs and schools, new friends with different perspectives on life and different personalities.  Slowly a lot of those friends we made in high school made their way out of our lives.

Friendship is a constantly changing, dynamic system to which we're all exposed. As our personalities grow and our values change, so too do our friends. It's human nature to want to surround yourself with people who better understand you - it just makes sense, no?

So now that I'm an adult, and my personality is what it is and what it will be for now and evermore, you'd think that those circles I keep would be more constant.

Not so.

Because life changes. It's always moving forward. Now I'm not dealing with trying to find people to match my personality, but those who's experiences and life choices complement my own. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I go through a cycle where every 5 years I dump all of my friends and get new ones. No. But I don't talk with anyone from highschool - I have nothing in common with any of them, unfortunately. My best friends in the whole world I met in University and have stuck with me over the last 10+ years.

And as you get older - people get married. They start to have kids. And DING! There it is. Kids.

I'll admit it. I'm not as close as I once was with those friends I have whom now have children or are pregnant. I'm just not. And it's partly because I'm selfish (somedays it kills me to even talk about kids, let alone be around any) and partly because we just don't have as much in common anymore. I don't really want to talk to you for hours on end about poopy diapers, and I'm sure you don't want me to talk about money and trips and having to stab myself with needles for hours on end.

That's not to say that we can't still be friends, and that one day, if I ever do have a child that you won't be the first person I call when I see green poop in the diaper, but for now times have changed and our situations have changed.

Such is life.
Photobucket

0 comments on "Such is life."

Lurkers...

Blogger Awards Won:

Blogger Awards Won:

be IN
 

A Bug Odyssey: a journey through infertility Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Bug Blog Designed by BugBlogger