March 04, 2011

We caught a break. Finally.


As if I haven't talked about it enough, my husband and I currently separated by many, many miles while he works in another province. It gets a little old having to schedule Skype-dates and coordinating phone calls, especially with the significant time changes involved.

The other problem is that because there's only one airline flying out of the city he's working in (and I'm using the term 'city' loosely...) the flights to come home are extremely expensive. It's because of this that he's not home more often - we just can't afford $1000 for the 'luxury' of being together for a couple of days.

(However, I must add that we are self-admitting AirMiles whores. This addiction has successfully funded 2 flights home over the last 7 months).

He recently found out that his current contract wouldn't be renewed for another term due to budget constraints. Basically, we were screwed. He was coming home in the summer, and for the first time since we've been together, he didn't have any work lined up. We had made the difficult decision that we need to sell one of our cars and our townhouse^.  We'd move to a rental apartment (one that would take our puparooni) that I could afford on my salary alone.

A bonus to selling our home was the equity we'd free up and have available for fertility treatments. We wouldn't have to go into anymore debt to try and have a baby; money wouldn't be a limiting factor, at least for a couple of cycles.

But I think we finally caught a break.

My husband had a job offer this week - a permanent, stable job. A dream job, something that he's been working towards with all of his schooling and experience, and it makes the better part of the last year being apart worth it. It wasn't in vain.

There's a bit of a catch - we're moving to another country*. Holy crap.

So we're very excited - apprehensive, scared, stressed, (pick an emotion. I'm basically freaking out.)

Now we plan for a very big move - and try to decide what we're going to do about treatments. And we wait.


^This was a really hard decision for us; this was our first home together, and when we bought the t/h it was disgusting - all original 1970's everything: brown and orange linoleum, shag carpets, peach walls. It was horrid. It took us 2 years to completely GUT the place; we did it all ourselves - put our blood, sweat and tears (quite literally) into this home. We learned SO much renovating this place - but the whole purpose of buying a 3 bed, 2 bath home was to fill the rooms with children - something we've failed to do as of yet. So this was a really good decision for us in a way, in a mental/emotional way; I don't have to be reminded of the fact I have 2 empty rooms to walk past multiple times every day. 
* A few of my readers may know exactly where we're moving, but I'm not going to share that here, just to maintain a bit of anonymity - I may share at some point, though. 
Photobucket

7 comments on "We caught a break. Finally."

Anonymous said...

WOW Nbaby!! Congrats! That is so exciting, I am Curious as to where you are moving to! But Good luck on this exciting venture!

Anonymous said...

So excited for you!! If your moving to Michigan in the States let me know! :)


JulyBride06

onewish on March 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM said...

omgosh! congratulations! You have been on my mind a lot lately, and I'm so happy to see such a positive update.

ADSchill on March 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM said...

Wow! That is huge! I am glad you have another option. I can imagine the stress.

I hope you can figure out fertility treatments in your new city/country. I know you have been waiting patiently.
Good luck!

MissConception

Blogger on March 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM said...

Thanks everyone! Your support means a lot to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations, I'm so excited for you. (I'm very curious to know where you're going!).

Blogger on March 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM said...

El, I'll share eventually, and we've already decided we'll start a blog of some sort to keep friends and family up to date with all of our adventures. :) I'll let you know!

Lurkers...

Blogger Awards Won:

Blogger Awards Won:

be IN
 

A Bug Odyssey: a journey through infertility Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Bug Blog Designed by BugBlogger