June 29, 2011

Some people's children



First off, I'd like to thank everyone that popped by over the last few weeks to follow my most recent journey - and a special thanks to those who had the time to leave me heartfelt comments. You are all truly amazing.

I apologize for not being around as of late; I've been sicker than a dog with some sort of mutant-throat cold which leaves me absolutely wiped at the end of the day. My husband knew it was bad when I stopped at the grocery store on my way to work last week to pick up lemon and honey (there is nothing in this world that I hate more than honey. 'Nuff said). BARF.

Anywho. Time to rant.

As of late I've switched shifts around so that I have the opportunity to work with as many of my co-workers as possible before I leave. What a fucking mistake THAT was.

I'm about ready to really hurt some of them.

I honestly don't understand some of their work ethics. Honestly. The people who have been there 20 years are happy to just let the junior people do the work.

The junior people are some of the biggest dog-fuckers I've ever met.

That leaves the 'in-betweeners' - like me and a few others - those of us who've been there long enough to know what the hell we're doing and get it done right, but not long enough to feel like the world owes us something just because we have a bit of seniority.

Out of the 4 people working on Monday, myself one of those 4, I did 2/3s of the work. I counted.

I was SO exhausted when I got home I fell asleep on the couch for 4 hours. Mr. Buggy had to wake me to eat dinner, which I ate half of and went straight back to sleep. Then up to bed for another 9 hours. And keep in mind - I'm sick. I don't have a voice. And I did all of the work while one stood by texting on her fucking cell phone all day and another wandered off to god-knows where for extended periods of time.

The next morning Mr. Buggy asked me why the hell I was so tired; I shrugged, and told him that I worked with a bunch of slackers. Then he started to yell. YELL. Told me essentially to tell them to pick up the slack (I'm editing here; I can't repeat half of what he said).

In to work I traipse, feeling even sicker now. Pretty damn pale. And coughing so hard it's making me gag. So I decided to switch gears. Fuck them. I'm outta there, why the hell should I be bustin' my ass anymore?

Let me tell you. I went to the bathroom every hour, on the hour, sometimes I had to go, sometimes I didn't. I would stretch and do quad squats against the wall. Pick my teeth. Text on my cell. Play Tetris on my cell. Fix my hair. Pick the nail-polish off of my nails. Or, my favorite - sit on the floor up against the wall and doze for a while.

One of them today (who's new - I've never worked with her before - she was transferred in) actually had the gall to accuse me of being 'too efficient, and you're making us all look bad'. This is a 45 year old woman (co-worker #1). Can you believe that?

Me: "Yes. I'm the most efficient person here. Obviously."
Co-Worker #1: "Huh! And she's modest, too" (insert sarcastic bitchiness here)
Me: "Yes. I am. And I know fabulous when I see it and I call it like it is. Don't be playa' hatin'." (insert equally sarcastic bitchiness here)
Co-Worker #2: (snickers). "She honestly is the best [worker] I know." (sincerely)
Co-Worker #1: "Hrmph". (you can see in her head the wheels turning - glad she won't have to work with me anymore).
Hehe.

What the hell has happened to the work world? Am I alone here? The older generation thinks they're entitled because they've paid their dues, and the younger generation thinks they're entitled because they're spoiled little feckin' arse picks.

I think a lot of the problem lies in the fact that I work in the public system. These people have never owned a private sector job and have never known anything other than 'union'. Drives me nuts.

How many more days do I have left????
Photobucket

2 comments on "Some people's children"

Anonymous said...

Hope your feeling better soon Buggy!! :)

neptunem said...

I know a lot of workers like that (since I work in the same public system that you do...). It's SO frustrating for those of us who actually care about doing the job we're paid for, and helping the people we're supposed to be helping.

Good thing you're getting the heck out of there soon!!

Lurkers...

Blogger Awards Won:

Blogger Awards Won:

be IN
 

A Bug Odyssey: a journey through infertility Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Bug Blog Designed by BugBlogger