Ahh. The blessed weekend.
6 more hours of my shift, and I'm off and rollin'. Woot! And to do what? Oh, to spend the weekend at FFFs (fucking family functions - or affectionately, 'Triple Fs'). Nice. We haven't told everyone we're having troubles conceiving, or what the troubles are about. Only my sister and mum know about the miscarriage - and they didn't even know initially about the pregnancy. I dropped the bomb on them big time - "oh, by the way, I was pregnant, and miscarried yesterday at 12w5d."
Anyway. I digress. Back to what I was saying about FFFs. An 'infertile' couple hates FFFs. These functions end up being a barrage of insanely personal questions regarding our efforts in producing contributions to the future generation; questions, such as these:
"Sooooo.... when will we hear the pitter-patter of tiny little feet?"
"You know, having your younger sister with a baby must put the pressure on you two!"
"Are you doing it right? At the right time?"
"You know you've been married for (x) years now, come on already!"
"Maybe you're just not trying hard enough..."
"You're too stressed. You need to relax/change jobs/work less/sleep more"
"Do you know how many people I've heard of who've started the adoption process and then WHAM! pregnant! Wait and see, you'll be one of those couples!"
"Well, everything happens for a reason. Don't worry - it'll happen for you! If it's in God's plans..."
WHAT THE FUCK?
I'm so *tired* of the comments and suggestions and jokes. I'm tired of people being so farking nosy without even knowing it. Their level of obliviousness infuriates me. They all *know* we're trying. They know that it's been 2 years of trying. Do they really think that I should reduce my stress and them attacking me with stupid anecdotes and suggestions and interogations really helps that 'stress' level? I mean, come on.
I wish sometimes I could just drop a big bomb. A HUGE bomb, and just fire back at all of these people some smart ass comment like we're currently taking donations, my hubby has bumb genes and therefore we can't get preggo naturally, and it's going to cost us $18k (x 3, probably) so PONY UP! Show me da money, grandma/grandpa/auntie/uncle/cousin/great aunt - to-be! We also accept gift certificates to ____ Fertility Center. Here's their phone number.
Man. It bugs me.
And for this reason: I will never ask a couple the following questions ever again:
- When are you having children
- Are you having children
- Anything children related.
You NEVER know what that couple is going through in their private lives. Really and truly. Perhaps they're infertile. Perhaps they've had (multiple) losses/miscarriages. Perhaps they can have kids, but only through ART (assisted reproductive technology) and just can't afford it. Perhaps they're waiting on an adoption coming through.
So let this be a lesson, peeps: be tactful. Is it really any of your business what your friends/relatives do with their reproductive organs? Really?! I mean, really.
/end rant
July 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments on "Ahh. The Weekend. Let the Rant Begin..."
Post a Comment